How can ID thieves obtain my personal information?
Identity thieves can obtain your personal information in a number of ways. They may:
- Steal wallets and purses containing your information, credit and bank cards
- Steal your mail, including your bank and credit card statements, pre-approved credit offers, telephone calling cards and tax information
- Complete a "change of address form" to divert your mail to another location
- Rummage through your trash, or the trash of businesses, for personal data in a practice known as "dumpster diving"
- Fraudulently obtain your credit report by posing as a landlord, employer, or someone else who may have a legitimate need for the information
- Get your business or personal records at work
- Steal personal information from your home