Stay Safe on Facebook
Here are 16 tips to stay safe on Facebook:
- Only friend people you know.
- Create a good password and use it only for Facebook.
- Don't share your password.
- Change your password on a regular basis.
- Share your personal information only with people and companies that need it.
- Log into Facebook only once each session. If it looks like Facebook is asking you to log in a second time, skip the links and directly type www.facebook.com into your browser address bar.
- Use a one-time password when using someone else's computer.
- Log out of Facebook after using someone else's computer.
- Use secure browsing whenever possible.
- Only download apps from sites you trust.
- Keep your anti-virus software updated.
- Keep your browser and other applications up to date.
- Don't paste script (computer code) in your browser address bar.
- Use browser add-ons like Web of Trust and Firefox's NoScript to keep your account from being hijacked.
- Beware of "goofy" posts from anyone, even friends. If it looks like something your friend wouldn't post, don't click on it.
- Scammers might hack your friends' accounts and send links from their accounts. Beware of enticing links coming from your friend.
For more information about how to stay safe on Facebook, check out Facebook's Security tips here.