What if I think my identity has been stolen?

If you think your identity has been stolen:

  • Place a fraud alert on your credit report. Learn how here.
  • Contact the fraud departments of any one of the three major credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your credit file:









The fraud alert requests creditors to contact you before opening any new accounts or making any changes to your existing accounts. As soon as the credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the other two credit bureaus will be automatically notified to place fraud alerts, and all three credit reports will be sent to you free of charge.

  • Immediately close any accounts that you know or believe have been tampered with or opened fraudulently. If there are direct deposits or automatic withdrawals on the account, call the issuer as soon as possible to give them your new account number.
  • If you have Social Security checks direct deposited into your account, call the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213 to give them your new account number. To report fraud on your Social Security Card, call 800-269-0271.
  • File a police report. Get a copy of the report to submit to your creditors and others that may require proof of the crime.
  • File your complaint with the FTC. The FTC maintains a database of identity theft cases used by law enforcement agencies for investigations. Filing a complaint also helps us learn more about identity theft and the problems victims are having so that we can better assist you.
  • File an online complaint with the Postal Inspector (ID Theft) or call (888) 877-7644.